Night Strike is a community gathering that mobilizes volunteers/services, meets felt needs, and develops relationships that transform lives. It is a unique opportunity for people to spend time under the Burnside Bridge every Thursday night to love people because people matter. It is an opportunity for members of Portland’s homeless community to hang out, enjoy a hot meal, receive a free haircut or shave, have their feet washed and have their old shoes/clothes/sleeping bags replaced. It is also a chance for you to come down and share in the experience, help serve the needs of the homeless in our community, and more importantly, invest in lives and build relationships with the people you meet.
Volunteers! We have heard your feedback and made some changes! You may now choose your volunteer position on our Night Strike Registrations. Please click the links below to register as an individual or group for upcoming Night Strikes.
Doors open at 6:30 pm and orientation begins promptly at 7:00 pm.
No one will be admitted to orientation past 7:15 pm, in order for all who attend to fully understand the rules and safety procedures. (See additional info in Q and A section).
Meet us at Liberation Street Church
214 W Burnside St
Portland, OR 97209
Click for map
We meet for orientation and safety trainings before we walk together to our site under the Burnside Bridge. We arrive at the bridge around 8pm and usually wrap up around 9:30pm. We all stick around for clean up and are out by 9:45pm..
Make Night Strike Happen!
You can help continue the cause of Night Strike. It costs BridgeTown Inc. $800 to host Night Strike every week. This covers the “bare bones” of food supplies, port-a-potties, permits, and much more. You can help keep Night Strike going by contributing to these costs in a few different ways.
- You can bring donation items! We have our current needs listed below. This helps offset our cost-per-Night Strike.
- You, your family, friends, business, community can sponsor a Night Strike! You can collectively raise $800 to cover all costs for an entire evening. (You can get creative by breaking down $800 into 40 friends donating $20, hosting a bake sale, or much more. We can even help brainstorm!)
- You can join the Night Strike Tribe by donating $25/month to Night Strike. Use the donate button to contribute financially.
For more information on ways to contribute to Night Strike email email@example.com.
Seasonal and Ongoing Needs:
- Jeans All sizes
- Tennis Shoes
- Sweatshirts (hoodies)
- New underwear (esp Mens 34-38 sizes)
- New Athletic Socks
- Check out our WISH LIST on Amazon!
Donations are accepted Mon-Wed 9:00am-5:00pm at our office and storage at 5040 SE 82nd Ave, or on Thurs prior to Night Strike at Liberation Street Church between 3:00-7:00pm.
Thank you so much for your continued support! We hope to see you down under the Burnside Bridge, helping us to “Love People Because People Matter.”
Frequently Asked Questions:
- Q: What’s the minimum age for serving at Night Strike?
- A: Night Strike is relatively safe, and we have many people of all ages who come for the evening, however, 6th grade is the minimum age that a person may volunteer at Night Strike. Younger children are required to stay with a responsible adult for the evening. Minors should be accompanied by a responsible adult.
- Q: Do I need to register before each date that I volunteer?
- A: Yes. We have established a more robust online registration which includes all of our volunteer jobs. This means you can choose your job prior to Night Strike. Our online registration fills up fast! If you do not register, you may not get a job at Night Strike.
- Q: Is there any special training to get involved at Night Strike as a volunteer?
- A: We host an orientation from 7:00-8:00pm prior to Night Strike. During that time you will receive essential safety training and direction for all we do in the city and under the bridge that night. Arriving after 7:00pm may mean your job will be reassigned, so come early! If you arrive after 7:15pm, you will have missed essential safety information, and may be excluded from serving guests under the bridge.
- Q: Can I store my stuff at Liberation Street Church?
- A: No. Please do not bring your valuables, extra bags, or backpacks to Night Strike. The staff cannot store them at Liberation Street Church. Please leave valuables at home or in your vehicles. We do not want our guests to be put into situations that create temptation to steal.
- Q: Where should I park?
- A: There are lots of parking options! There is a parking lot on Ankeny between 2nd and the MAX line, or a parking garage on NE Davis and 1st. Or you can look for street parking.