Vision of BTown Kids:
BTown Kids creates space for children and families to develop community and capacity through encouragement, relationship and fun.
The Program: BTown Kids sites happen on Saturdays throughout the summer, from late morning until 3pm, including setup and teardown. The fun begins with interactive stations open for kids: face painting, bubbles, hula-hoops, etc. Very positive, qualified adults and staff greet and encourage the children and invite them to PLAY! The program also includes a free lunch for kids (usually a BBQ style picnic.) Next, we move into some group and individual games where the kids can win prizes, and it all culminates in a short 10-15 minute teaching of one of the 4 internal or 4 external assets from the Search Institute. We end each BTown Kids by giving everyone a snow cone!!!
Every Saturday BTown Kids arrives on site at multiple locations throughout the Portland metro area. Each site is equipped with a trailer, sound equipment, snow cone maker, BBQ, field games, and other items to create a fun, interactive space for families and their children to spend time together.
Children and families are what BTown Kids is all about: Children ranging from 4 to 12 years of age are the main focus for BTown Kids. Our Asset Building curriculum is designed with them in mind, but younger children and older siblings, along with parents are welcome, and often participate along side the kids!
Develop Community and Capacity: Our desire at BTown Kids is to strengthen the existing community in local apartment complexes by gathering children and families together. This sort of interaction is a healthy start to a healthy community. Our curriculum is designed to expand capacity: margins for better and more whole living. We focus on 4 internal and 4 external assets, and help both children and their families instill these assets into their lives.
Encouragement, Relationship and Fun:
BTown Kids seeks to let children know they matter, and help them learn how to develop positive relationships within their community. One of the best ways to do this is by having a lot of fun together! BTown Kids provides a ton of fun each Saturday as children play games, eat together and participate in our very interactive curriculum designed just for them. No doubt about it, each kid will have a great time and learn positive assets that can help them develop a more positive view of themselves and the community in which they live.
BTown Kids Curriculum:
The BTown Kids curriculum is based on the Search Institute’s 40 Developmental Assets. These assets are structured around 8 core categories:
- Support: Young people need to be surrounded by people who love, care for, appreciate, and accept them.
- Empowerment: Young people need to feel valued and valuable. This happens when youth feel safe and respected.
- Boundaries and Expectations: Young people need clear rules, consistent consequences for breaking rules, and encouragement to do their best.
- Constructive Use of Time: Young people need opportunities, outside of school, to learn and develop new skills and interests with other youth and adults.
- Commitment to Learning: Young people need a sense of the lasting importance of learning and a belief in their own abilities.
- Positive Values: Young people need to develop strong guiding values or principles to help them make healthy life choices.
- Social Competencies: Young people need the skills to interact effectively with others, to make difficult decisions, and to cope with new situations.
- Positive Identity: Young people need to believe in their own self-worth and to feel that they have control over the things that happen to them.